The Remains of The Church of St. THOMAS OF CANTERBURY, Grindon
(Photograph courtesy of Mrs. O. Lindley)
The original parish church at Grindon is Norman in origin (1153 – 1193) and was dedicated to St Thomas a Becket. The church was consecrated by Hugh de Puiset, Bishop of Durham and great grandson of William the Conqueror. The church was of plain structure, consisting of nave and chancel. It stands in a field in Grindon and is now on private land. The church ceased to be a place of worship in 1848 when a new church was built at Thorpe Thewles, dedicated to the Holy Trinity – again being replaced in 1885 by the church we see today, St James, the cost of which was raised in the main by the Marchioness of Londonderry and her friends.
To view a ground plan indicating the various phase of construction and re-building of Grindon Church go to the Links page of this site. A web link to a summarized history of Grindon Church can also be found on the same Links page.
Back to Gallery